Friday, September 18, 2009

Introduction to the Dream Traveler




My name is Melanie Banks, melanie@dinahsdreams.net, I am the second child of Dinah at Dinah's Dreams (www.dinahsdreams.com). Years ago, in 1990 when my grandmother Nancy (Gramma) owned the shop, it was called Visions. Some of you know my older sister Amy. Both of us worked since the shop's conception. We have a brother, Jacob. He makes wands and woodcrafts. I have worked in the shop since I was around 11 years old and now I run the Web Site.
Several generations in both my mother's and father's side of the family believed in magic, astrology, and psychic energy. I remember Mom and Gramma used to do astrology charts by hand. By hand, it took three times to get my chart right, because it is so complex. I was born on a cusp. That means I was born between signs. I have to read both Virgo and Libra horoscopes, and it's still isn't quite right. There really isn't a horoscope for us weirdos. I was born on Mabon (September 22nd) at 2:22 pm to be exact. Can you guess my lucky number?
Gramma taught metaphysical classes since 1968 up north. While owning she shop, when I was a teenager, she taught for several years, and I attended all her classes. But she and Mom taught me lots before the classes started. It was just fun to go to these classes with other interesting people. Some of the other shop owners in town also attended those classes when they were younger and before they owned shops. I like to think my grandmother helped them open their mind a little to more things which lead them to opening shops. Who knows, I feel we have touched a lot of people in positive ways and helped to spread the movement of acceptance.
At the time we opened our shop in North Carolina, Dion Warwick and Ms. Cleo hadn't begun their psychic communities, so there was little tolerance to psychic readings or even having your palm read. We were taboo. There were some very trying and crying times in the beginning for us and our shop. (Some reading this can probably relate. It's hard to be different.) People would come and yell at us and say very hurtful things that were traumatizing, especially for a child working in the shop, knowing that we were doing nothing wrong. We were evicted from two flea markets in town because psychic readings were considered unacceptable; first Raeford Road Flea Market and then the Bragg Blvd Flea Market, so we had to be very careful about what we sold. Finally, we found our home at the US Flea Mall. As a preteen and teen, because of all the anger towards us, I put a wall up and became very defensive, wore all black and died my hair to match for years. I constantly thought I had to defend myself and my beliefs. After all the telephone/television psychics began making it "ok" to have psychic readings, the previous flea markets have since allowed shops like ours to exist. So when the Bragg Blvd Flea Market began accepting people like us, we were able to convert my father's shop from an antique store to one like ours.
The Fenix House has grown and changed and it has its' own unique brand of products that offer something a little different than our shop, but still similar in nature. And now, with all the acceptance going on, there is an abundance of metaphysical, new age, pagan, wiccan, psychic (whatever you want to call them) shops all over the place. There is something for everyone and each place is a little different. There is some pretty cool stuff and people out there. It's awesome and the variety is endless, which is why I want to start this series of articles.
When I attend events or places that people like us would like to visit, I'm going to write about them. In my next article I will talk about Pagan Pride Day in Central NC. Did anyone else attend? Write me! Write me! Write me! ( I was conjuring up some email, teehee) and tell me how you liked it. Personally, I thought it was awesome!
Seriously, I love hearing from like minded people. Write me just to say "Hey", if you want. (Melanie@dinahsdreams.net) If you have an event you want me to attend, let me know. Invite me. I will write about it. Oh! Oh!...if you attended an event or a fun place around here, tell me, write an article about it. You can be "The Dream Traveler" too. Or suggest I go and take my son, if you don't want to write an article!
Oh, by the way, I only attend family friendly things. I am molding a young mind. He goes where I go. No nudity for me please. But if you attended something with nudity, and you want to tell people about it, that's cool. Write me. I may do an article on it...maybe. :-)
More to come later from the Dream Traveler. (lol)

No comments: